Seabourn Announces Upcoming Distinguished Luminaries for Seabourn Conversations Program
SEATTLE, October 15, 2018 – Seabourn, the world’s finest ultra-luxury cruise line, is continuing its mission to inspire and inform guests with a new line-up of remarkable speakers for its Seabourn Conversations program during the 2018-2019 cruise season. The popular onboard enrichment program will host distinguished speakers with fascinating stories to share and expertise to enlighten across a wide array of disciplines including space exploration, mountaineering, television production, culinary, history, politics, and the arts.
The impressive line-up of Seabourn Conversationalists includes first-time and returning speakers sure to keep guests engaged and entertained as they explore natural and cultural wonders around the globe, including aboard the line’s newest vessel, Seabourn Ovation, which launched this past May.
“It is always exciting to put together a new roster of engaging personalities to add colorful stories to the experiences our guests have while they travel with us,” said Richard Meadows, president of Seabourn. “Our highly successful Seabourn Conversations series continues to draw prominent personalities who are excited to share their life’s work and experiences from rarely heard but reliably insider perspectives.”
Upcoming select speakers of the 2018-2019 Seabourn Conversations program include:
- Richard Stone (Seabourn Ovation, November 14, 2018 voyage) – The Royal Portrait Painter for four decades, Stone has captured most members of the Royal Family on canvas. Starting at 22, he was the youngest Royal portrait artist since 21-year-old Sir Thomas Lawrence in the 1700s. Naturally talented and determined, Stone’s portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, unveiled at the National Portrait Gallery in 1992, is his most famous work. In addition to the Royal Family, he has portrayed many other notable international personalities, including Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher, Luciano Pavarotti, and more.
- Bryan Fogel (Seabourn Sojourn, November 19, 2018 voyage) – An Academy-Award winning American film director, producer, author and playwright, Fogel is best known for his 2017 documentary Icarus, which took home the 2018 Oscar for “Best Documentary Feature”.
- Captain Scott Kelly (Seabourn Encore, December 3, 2018 voyage) – One of a select group of Americans who have traveled into space, Kelly previously held the record for total days in space by an American astronaut: 520. Like his best-selling memoir, Endurance: My Year in Space and Our Journey to Mars, he has many awe-inspiring stories from space and reflections on leadership, teamwork and testing limits to share.
- Dean McFlicker (Seabourn Ovation, December 4, 2018 voyage) – An award-winning producer and director for NBC Entertainment and others, McFlicker will share his experiences creating campaigns for some of the most successful shows on television, including The Voice, This Is Us, Law and Order, America’s Got Talent and more. He has also been a choreographer on Broadway and has worked on countless music videos and international concerts in Hollywood.
- Jamie Metzl (Seabourn Ovation, December 22, 2018) – A Senior Fellow of the Atlantic Council, as well as a novelist, blogger and syndicated columnist, Metzl is an expert in Asian affairs and biotechnology policy. Among wide-ranging endeavors, he has served as an election monitor in Afghanistan and the Philippines. His works of fiction include the historical novel, The Depths of the Sea, and the genetics thrillers Genesis Code and Eternal Sonata.
- Tim & Nina Zagat (Seabourn Ovation, January 19, 2019 voyage) – The Co-Founders of the Zagat Survey, renowned for collecting and correlating the ratings of restaurants by diners, Tim and Nina are also award-winning entrepreneurs and prominent players on civic, cultural and charitable scenes.
- Pamela Chen (Seabourn Ovation, January 19, 2019) – With her Taiwanese roots and love of Asian cooking, Chen takes guests on an inspiring and flavorsome journey into Asian cuisine and culture. She combines her love of cooking, design background and cultural heritage to present a unique, authentic experience and fascinating insights that demystifies the delights of Asian cuisine and eastern culture. Through her talks and demonstrations, she shares fascinating – and often funny – stories from a lifestyle that blends eastern and western culture.
- Armando Manni (Seabourn Ovation, February 16, 2019 voyage) – The “M” in K+M Extravirgin Chocolate founded with renowned chef and Seabourn partner Thomas Keller, Manni is a film director, gourmet and entrepreneur with a Golden Globe winning film among his work. In 2001, he founded MANNI Oil, a global brand now synonymous with quality, luxury and taste. He also owns Casa MANNI Roma, designed by Adam D. Tihany, who fashioned the interiors of Seabourn Ovation and Seabourn Encore.
- Ben Taggie (Seabourn Ovation, March 2, 2019) – A Professor of History Emeritus at the University of Massachusetts, Taggie’s specialties are Asian, medieval and classical history. Together with his wife Louise, he is founder of MSA Cultural Tours, which conducts educational tours to venues such as Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal. He is also President of the Mediterranean Studies Association devoted to international education and research.
- Paul Deegan (Seabourn Sojourn, March 5, 2019 voyage) – Award-winning author and seasoned climber of mountainous regions on five continents, Deegan was co-leader of the first environmental expedition to Mount Everest at age 18. He returned: once to be embroiled in the greatest tragedy in the mountain’s history, and once finishing on top.
- Alison Levine (Seabourn Sojourn, December 10, 2019 voyage) – An adventurer, explorer, mountaineer, “beer muse,” filmmaker, storyteller, and bestselling author, Levine has survived sub-zero temperatures, hurricane-force winds, sudden avalanches, and a career on Wall Street, leaving her well suited to draw relevant parallels between mountaineering and business, and to converse about the same.
- Steve Wozniak (Seabourn Ovation, December 21, 2019) – Designer of the hardware, circuit board designs and operating system for the Apple I personal computer, Wozniak was awarded the National Medal of Technology by President Ronald Reagan in 1985 and the Hoover Medal in 2014. His autobiography, iWoz: From Computer Geek to Cult Icon, was a New York Times bestseller.
For the full schedule of speakers participating in Seabourn Conversations for 2018 - 2019, visit www.seabourn.com.
As the newest overall ultra-luxury fleet in the industry, Seabourn’s intimate ships offer key elements that set the line apart: spacious, thoughtfully appointed all-suite accommodations, many with verandas and all 100% ocean front; superb dining in a choice of venues including The Grill by Thomas Keller; differentiated evening experiences in partnership with Sir Tim Rice; Spa & Wellness with Dr. Andrew Weil; open bars throughout the ship; fine wines poured at any time; award-winning service, and a relaxed, sociable atmosphere that makes guests feel right at home on board. The ships travel the globe to many of the world’s most desirable destinations, including marquee cities, UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and lesser-known ports and hideaways. Travelers who covet outdoor adventures will also find the Ventures by Seabourn optional for-charge expedition-style excursion program in select destinations, including Alaska, Antarctica, Europe, Australia and Southeast Asia. Guests may book these tours in advance on Seabourn’s website.
Seabourn currently operates a fleet of five modern ultra-luxury ships and is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise Lines. The exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises, AIDA, P&O Cruises UK, P&O Cruises Australia and fathom. Seabourn is a brand of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL and NYSE: CUK). It is also the official cruise line partner for United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to help protect World Heritage sites.
Notes to Editors:
Seabourn is consistently ranked among the world's top travel choices by professional critics and the discerning readers of prestigious travel publications such as Departures, Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler. Its stylish, distinctive cruising vacations are renowned for:
- Intimate ships with a private club atmosphere
- Intuitive, personalized service provided by staff passionate about exceeding guests expectations
- Curated voyages to all seven continents delivering award-winning experiences
- All ocean front suites, luxuriously appointed
- Complimentary premium spirits and fine wines available on board at all times
- Welcome Champagne and complimentary in-suite bar stocked with your preferences
- Tipping is neither required, nor expected
- Finest resort at sea that is masterfully designed
- World-class dining, further enhanced through a culinary partnership with Chef Thomas Keller
- All dining venues are complimentary, dine where, when and with whom you wish
- Seabourn Conversations, connecting with visionary experts
- Ventures by Seabourn, optional shore excursions, enhance and extend destination experiences in select destinations.
- Select purposeful and sustainable travel experiences in partnership with UNESCO
- Spa & Wellness by Dr. Andrew Weil, featuring an exclusive mindful living program
- An evening entertainment experience in collaboration with Sir Tim Rice