World-Class Expedition Team Set To Operate “Ventures By Seabourn” Experiences For Upcoming 2019 Season In Alaska & British Columbia
SEATTLE, January 15, 2019 – Seabourn, the world’s finest ultra-luxury cruise line, is ensuring that its 2019 season in Alaska & British Columbia unfolds as an immersive experience and stands out with an impressive offering of optional Ventures by Seabourn guided kayak, Zodiac, catamaran and hiking tours led by a highly accomplished, skilled, and knowledgeable Seabourn expedition team.
The already-assembled expedition team includes experienced wilderness experts, scientists, historians and Zodiac operators. Ventures by Seabourn excursions are available for-charge, in select destinations, and can be booked in advance by guests. In addition, the expedition team will couple with several local tour operators to enhance hiking excursions, bringing additional wealth of local expertise and information on the region to guests.
“As every year, we are excited to share our experienced and qualified expedition team for the upcoming 2019 season in Alaska & British Columbia. The strength of the group lies in the combination of academic passion, old-school experience, and local knowledge that they bring to the cruise schedule,” said Robin West, vice president of Expedition Operations for Seabourn. “This season’s expedition team will not only join the guests on Ventures outings, but will add to the onboard experience of Seabourn Sojourn with complimentary lectures on their fields of expertise including marine biology, geology, ornithology and history. They’ll further be available at every turn to point out wildlife, join guests for dinner, and answer questions around the ship about the wild and pristine wonders that draw them – and our guests – back year after year.”
Also part of the Seabourn Conversations program, the expedition team members regularly interact with guests throughout each sailing, sharing keen insight and in-depth knowledge about the history, ecology and culture of the region. Their valuable insights are offered both in complimentary formal presentations on a variety of topics and in more casual conversations over meals or at leisure. In addition, the team chronicles their adventures with stories and photos via Seabourn’s Ventures Tracker.
Travelers considering a trip to Alaska & British Columbia in 2019 have extra incentive to book now with Seabourn offering a complementary “Veranda for Ocean-View” upgrade on all sailings to the destination. The offer, which is valid through February 13, 2019 as part of the Signature Savings Event, provides the value of a guaranteed veranda suite for the price of an ocean-view.
Guests can look forward to participating in up-close explorations of the majestic beauty and fascinating history and culture of America’s Last Frontier. Ventures by Seabourn will be a highlight of an exciting schedule of 11-, 12- and 14-day ultimate Alaska itineraries onboard Seabourn Sojourn scheduled from June to October 2019.
Members of the handpicked expedition team for Seabourn’s 2019 season in Alaska & British Columbia include:
- Juan Carlos Restrepo, Expedition Leader – With a passion for the great outdoors and adventure, Juan has explored all the continents and oceans of the world. He began his career in the expedition industry as a Dive Master on luxury yachts and then took his love for expedition to the Polar Regions.
- Chris Srigley, Expedition Leader – Chris spends up to nine months a year on expedition ships, including full seasons in Antarctica and the Arctic. Beyond his duties on the expedition team, Chris serves as a Polar Bear Guard, advancing landing parties and keeping a watchful eye while guests experience the natural wonders around them.
- Nicki D’Souza, Assistant Expedition Leader – Nicki puts her years of experience and passion for travel to good use assisting guests with shore excursions all over the world. As an expedition leader with many maiden calls behind her, she has led voyages along the West Coast of Africa, South America, Europe and Asia.
- Natasha Hanson, Assistant Expedition Leader / Lecturer – An avid outdoorswoman Natasha has guided kayaking and hiking excursions in remote areas of the world. As a general naturalist with over a decade of experience in the Polar Regions, she has shared her knowledge with guests of various expedition ships.
- Adam Jenkins, Assistant Expedition Leader / Lecturer – Adam has engaged in myriad adventures at sea, including single-handedly sailing a 27-foot sloop down the Pacific Coast and back up the East Coast to Nova Scotia. He long ago found his calling leading expeditions and working with adventure travelers and scientists.
- Lisa Baldwin, Lecturer – Enthralled by the ocean, Lisa is a competitive ocean swimmer, free diver, naturalist, and traveler who enjoys educating others about the natural environment. Her extensive work as a field biologist and passion for health research gives her a unique ability to be open, friendly and relate to guests on all levels.
- Nicki Bunting, Kayak Guide – Nicki credits her Olympian grandmother and competitive sailor father for her adventurous spirit and love of the ocean. An historian, photographer, naturalist, and thrice Tour Guide of the Year in Skagway, Alaska, she has lectured extensively on local and state history.
- Ross Ellingwood, Lecturer – Ross’s love of adventure took hold in college and hasn’t loosened its grip. In 2016, he spent six months building a wooden rowing boat in his garage, and then took it on a three-month, 1,100-mile exploration of the Inside Passage. His career has seen him guiding sea-kayaking trips and ice climbing in Alaska.
- Jennifer Fought, Lecturer – Certified as a Zodiac operator at nine, Jennifer found her sweet spot in the natural world and spent her youth camping, canoeing and riding horses. With a graduate degree in Structural Geology, she has conducted research from the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico to the glaciers of Greenland.
- Eric Holst, Lecturer – Over a decade as a Zodiac driver and bridge officer, Eric worked extensively in Alaska, British Columbia, Mexico and Central America. He is fascinated by geography and earth history, especially where they converge with the study of ancient climates and ecosystems and is most content before the face of a tidewater glacier watching the confluence of time, climate and topography on a barely fathomable scale.
- Greg Horn, Kayak Guide – Following schooling and military service, Horn fueled his interests in business and adventure by starting a SCUBA center along South Africa’s Garden Route and later ran a bush camp and dive resort in Mozambique. He has completed 5,000-plus dives in the Indian Ocean and Red Sea and traveled more than 14,000 km by off-road motorbike through South Africa.
- Aidan Klimenko, Photo / Videographer – An accomplished photographer, filmmaker and traveler, Aldan explores life around the world through his camera and lens. Raised in Ecuador, he traveled South America in search of adventure and imagery to create a portfolio for entrée into the travel and adventure industries.
- Sylvia Stevens, Lecturer – Born in Scotland and relocated to San Diego, Sylvia gave up a successful business career to pursue her love of photography, wildlife and travel. She has worked extensively with injured and endangered animals in various locations, including seabirds, eagles and otters in Alaska, and has three decades of experience as a lecturer and Expedition Leader on ships in the Arctic, Sub-Antarctic and Antarctic.
- Peter Torkelson, Lecturer – A native Alaskan, entrepreneur and avid sailor, in 2010 Peter ditched a thriving business and moved with his family aboard a catamaran to cruise 14,000 ocean miles over six years, surviving two hurricanes en route. These days he explores western Prince William Sound and Southeast Alaska as often as possible, and recently worked on megayacht charters out of Juneau.
- Kirstie Yeager, Lecturer – Kirstie has spent more than two decades studying and working in natural resource management and wildlife research. Her extensive background includes studying grizzly bears in Montana, Steller sea lions in Alaska, and several species at McMurdo and Palmer Stations in Antarctica.
The expedition team will rotate throughout the season, and additional team members will join select sailings periodically.
Seabourn Sojourn’s 2019 season in Alaska & British Columbia provides ultra-luxury comforts together with onboard programming including Seabourn Conversations, a complimentary enrichment lecture and presentation series, and wildlife watching on deck. The unique voyages combine Alaska’s most popular ports with rarely visited hidden gems of the Inside Passage and British Columbia, including destinations such as Alert Bay and Klemtu.
For reservations or more details, please contact a professional travel advisor; call Seabourn at 1-800-929-9391 or visit www.seabourn.com. A dedicated shore excursion call center is available for guests at 1-800-984-3225.
Seabourn currently operates a fleet of five modern ultra-luxury ships and is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise Lines. The exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises, AIDA, P&O Cruises UK, P&O Cruises Australia and fathom. Seabourn is a brand of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL and NYSE: CUK). Seabourn is the official cruise partner of UNESCO World Heritage under a multi-year agreement to help promote sustainable tourism at World Heritage sites around the world.
Notes to Editors:
Seabourn is consistently ranked among the world's top travel choices by professional critics and the discerning readers of prestigious travel publications such as Departures, Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler. Its stylish, distinctive cruising vacations are renowned for:
- Intimate ships with a private club atmosphere
- Intuitive, personalized service provided by staff passionate about exceeding guests expectations
- Curated voyages to all seven continents delivering award-winning experiences
- All ocean front suites, luxuriously appointed
- Complimentary premium spirits and fine wines available on board at all times
- Welcome Champagne and complimentary in-suite bar stocked with your preferences
- Tipping is neither required, nor expected
- Finest resort at sea that is masterfully designed
- World-class dining, further enhanced through a culinary partnership with Chef Thomas Keller
- All dining venues are complimentary, dine where, when and with whom you wish
- Seabourn Conversations, connecting with visionary experts
- Ventures by Seabourn, optional shore excursions, enhance and extend destination experiences in select destinations.
- Select purposeful and sustainable travel experiences in partnership with UNESCO
- Spa & Wellness by Dr. Andrew Weil, featuring an exclusive mindful living program
- An evening entertainment experience in collaboration with Sir Tim Rice, produced exclusively by Belinda King Creative Productions.