Seabourn Shines Spotlight On Voyages to Northern Europe, Iceland & Greenland For Summer 2019 Season
CREATE LIFETIME MEMORIES
SEATTLE, April 2, 2019 – Seabourn, the world’s finest ultra-luxury travel experience, is headed to Northern Europe, Iceland and Greenland this summer season and the best time to book is now. The fleet will be navigating historic waters and vibrant coasts while serving up the region with immersive, hand-selected itineraries and experiential activities for guests to discover local culture, art, architecture, history and natural wonders in marquee ports and hidden gems.
The 2019 summer season will feature Ventures by Seabourn optional for-charge excursions in select destinations curated to offer ample opportunities for active kayaking, Zodiac tours, and scenic hiking. Guests will enjoy regionally inspired cuisines created from local seasonal produce onboard, as well as opportunities to join Shopping with the Chef excursions to learn about regional markets in destinations from Bergen to Dublin and Nuuk to Stockholm. Shore excursions to UNESCO World Heritage Sites will feature enhanced content enabled through Seabourn’s official partnership with UNESCO, including “The Heart of Neolithic Orkney” and “Historic Center (Old Town) of Tallinn.” In addition, Seabourn Conversations with special guest speakers, deck parties, and other onboard events will ensure guests will have a memorable time on their Seabourn voyage.
“Europe is such a rich destination and its northern territories offer so many opportunities to discover this extraordinary part of the world, plus now is the time to book to secure your preferred suite before they are sold out,” said Chris Austin, senior vice president of Global Marketing & Sales for Seabourn. “Our 2019 cruise schedule in Northern Europe, Iceland and Greenland is brimming with immersive itineraries through every corner of the region, with attractions, activities and special programming making lasting memories and experiences guests won’t find on any other cruise line.”
While four of Seabourn’s five ultra-luxury vessels will spend at least part of 2019 cruising the continent, two, in particular, will focus on Northern Europe:
- Seabourn Quest will sail a series of adventurous 15-day voyages exploring spectacular scenery and wildlife of the British Isles, Iceland and Norway, including the North Cape. These voyages will feature a stellar expedition team offering optional Ventures by Seabourn excursions. The ship’s Europe season will culminate with two three-week cruises highlighting the best of Iceland, Greenland and other North Atlantic isles sailing 21 days from Dover to Reykjavik and then 24 days from Reykjavik to Montreal.
- Seabourn Ovation will offer the line’s signature summer staple of seven-day voyages in the Baltic between Copenhagen and Stockholm, including three days in St. Petersburg, Russia. The ship’s schedule also includes several “hidden gems,” including 14-day voyages combing majestic Norway & the North Cape with the British Isles, featuring optional Ventures by Seabourn excursions, and a 14-day southward cruise from Dublin to Lisbon via Paris.
Optional Ventures by Seabourn excursions will highlight several cruise itineraries on Seabourn Quest and Seabourn Ovation. These excursions are led by outstanding and highly-experienced expedition teams that include wilderness experts, scientists, historians and naturalists. Ventures by Seabourn excursions are available for-charge, in select destinations and can be booked in advance by guests. Among adventures waiting for guests to enjoy:
- Exploring Aurlandsfjord: One of the world’s most picturesque fjords, Aurlandsfjord is a branch of Sognefjord, Norway's longest. Deep and narrow, plunging 3,156 feet below the surface and enfolded by nearly 6,000-foot peaks, Aurlandsfjord is a perfect setting for a tranquil and spectacular guided paddle in a double sea kayak. (Available on select voyages on Seabourn Ovation.)
- Storstappen Island by Zodiac & North Cape – Cruise in Zodiacs beneath the dramatic cliffs of Storstappen Island, home to a million puffins, as well as gannets, kittiwakes and sea eagles circling in an exuberant display of nature’s abundance. (Available on select voyages on Seabourn Ovation and Seabourn Quest.)
- Hvalsey Norse Ruins by Zodiac: A UNESCO Partner Tour – Join the ship’s archaeologist on a Zodiac up Qaqortoq’s scenic fjord to the ruins of the Hvalsey Church, where a wedding conducted in 1408 is the last written record of Norse Greenland. (Available on select voyages on Seabourn Quest.)
- Preikestolen/Pulpit Rock Hike: Climb to the top of Pulpit Rock, one of Norway’s most iconic hikes featuring with stupendous views over Lysefjord and the surrounding mountains. (Available on select voyages on Seabourn Ovation and Seabourn Quest.)
- Puffins, Eiders Guillemots: Vigur Island by Zodiac – Charming Vigur has a great reputation among birders. Take a Zodiac ride to the island with your naturalist guide and meet its five hospitable human inhabitants. Walk around among eider ducks, arctic terns, puffins and black guillemots and see Iceland’s only windmill and Europe’s smallest post office. (Available on select voyages on Seabourn Quest.)
Seabourn’s expedition teams are designated to lead adventures in Northern Europe, Greenland and Iceland and includes hand-picked naturalists, archaeologists, photographers, and expedition experts. During each sailing featuring Ventures by Seabourn excursions, team members regularly interact with guests, providing keen insight to deliver a rich holistic travel experience. These fascinating, accomplished experts are part of the Seabourn Conversations program, providing your clients in-depth insights into the history, ecology and culture of the places they visit. On board, their valuable insights are offered both in complimentary formal presentations on a variety of topics and in more casual conversations over meals or at leisure. In addition, the team chronicles their adventures with stories and photos via Seabourn’s Ventures Tracker.
Members of the team include:
- Ignacio Rojas, Ventures Leader – “Iggy” has spent the last 25 years exploring some of the most beautiful and remote regions of the world. With a foundation in biology, Iggy has grown his knowledge to cover numerous disciplines that expedition travel exposes you to – he has an amazing breadth of numerous ecosystems round the world. For the past several seasons, he has led the Seabourn Ventures team throughout Northern Europe, Iceland and Greenland. The remaining months of the year he can be found leading expeditions in the Amazon, Antarctica, Australia and New Zealand.
- Dr. Colleen Batey, Lecturer – A Senior Lecturer in Archaeology at the University of Glasgow, Colleen has spent 40 years researching the Viking Age in Scotland, Scandinavia and the North Atlantic. For several years she was curator of Archaeology for Glasgow Museums, with work including coordinating a loan of Viking material for the highly successful Smithsonian exhibition Vikings: North Atlantic Saga, seen by several million visitors in the U.S.
- Joe Cockram, Lecturer – A birdwatcher from age seven, Joe left home to work as a warden on nature reserves as soon as he was legally able. His interest in seabirds later led him to some of the most important nesting colonies on remote headlands and islands in Northern Europe. Now a shipboard ornithologist, Joe cruises the world using his knowledge and passion to help others experience and appreciate the incredible variety of species found around the continents.
There will be many other opportunities for guests to set foot in and explore Northern Europe throughout summer. Optional shore excursions dotting itineraries include:
- Helsinki Highlights, Porvoo & River Cruise to Haikko – Keep an eye out while passing many of Helsinki’s architectural highlights on a drive to picturesque 14th-century Porvoo, with a guided walk on cobbled streets past historic wooden buildings in Old Town.
- Châteauneuf & Avignon: A UNESCO Partner Tour – Travel overland to Avignon where a succession of nine Catholic popes reigned in the 14th century bringing acclaim to the Châteauneuf wines made nearby. Enjoy exclusive guided access to the Saint Martial Chapel in the Popes’ Palace and enjoy a luncheon at an auberge along the Rhône River.
- Three-Day Extraordinary St. Petersburg: A UNESCO Partner Tour – Visit the most important landmarks of St. Petersburg and Moscow over three days, starting with a full-day tour of St. Petersburg including Catherine’s Palace, the Peter & Paul Fortress, and the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. Then it’s on to Moscow via high-speed train for sites including the Kremlin museums, Armory Museum and Red Square.
- Gateway to the Arctic & Cable Car – Enjoy a panoramic view of Historic Tromsø, Norway en route to the immense Tromsø Museum with exhibits on science, archaeology, history and Sami culture. The excursion also includes a view of the huge stained-glass window of the Arctic Cathedral and a cable car ride to a mountaintop for views of the city and its surroundings.
Seabourn represents the pinnacle of ultra-luxury travel with intimate ships offering key elements that set the line apart: spacious, thoughtfully appointed suites, many with verandas and all 100% ocean front; superb dining in a choice of venues; complimentary premium spirits and fine wines available on board at all times; award-winning service and a relaxed, sociable atmosphere that makes guests feel right at home on board. The ships travel the globe to many of the world’s most desirable destinations, including marquee cities, UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and lesser-known ports and hideaways.
Guests who sail on Seabourn will continue to find a number of innovative offerings and programs, including partnerships with a select group of companies and individuals whose dedication to superior quality, exceptional service and consistent customer satisfaction matches Seabourn. These programs include ‘An Evening with Tim Rice’, the new evening entertainment experience created exclusively for the line in association with Belinda King Creative Productions; Spa and Wellness with Dr. Andrew Weil, offering guests a holistic spa and wellness experience that integrates physical, social, environmental and spiritual well-being; and The Grill by Thomas Keller, reminiscent of the classic American restaurant from the 50’s and 60’s. Exclusive to Seabourn, The Grill is a unique culinary concept for Chef Keller, focusing on updated versions of iconic dishes. Guests will be treated to table-side preparations of Caesar salad and ice cream sundaes, as well as a range of other favorites like premium steaks, whole roasted chicken, and Lobster Thermidor, presented à la carte.
For reservations or more details, please contact a professional travel advisor; call Seabourn at 1-800-929-9391 or visit www.seabourn.com. A dedicated shore excursion call center is available for guests at 1-800-984-3225.
Seabourn currently operates a fleet of five modern ultra-luxury ships and is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise Lines. The exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises, AIDA, P&O Cruises UK, P&O Cruises Australia and fathom. Seabourn is a brand of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL and NYSE: CUK). Seabourn is the official cruise partner of UNESCO World Heritage under a multi-year agreement to help promote sustainable tourism at World Heritage sites around the world.
# # #
Notes to Editors:
Seabourn is consistently ranked among the world's top travel choices by professional critics and the discerning readers of prestigious travel publications such as Departures, Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler. Its stylish, distinctive cruising vacations are renowned for:
- Intimate ships with a private club atmosphere
- Intuitive, personalized service provided by staff passionate about exceeding guests expectations
- Curated voyages to all seven continents delivering award-winning experiences
- All ocean front suites, luxuriously appointed
- Complimentary premium spirits and fine wines available on board at all times
- Welcome Champagne and complimentary in-suite bar stocked with your preferences
- Tipping is neither required, nor expected
- Finest resort at sea that is masterfully designed
- World-class dining, further enhanced through a culinary partnership with Chef Thomas Keller
- All dining venues are complimentary, dine where, when and with whom you wish
- Seabourn Conversations, connecting with visionary experts
- Ventures by Seabourn, optional shore excursions, enhance and extend destination experiences in select destinations.
- Select purposeful and sustainable travel experiences in partnership with UNESCO
- Spa & Wellness by Dr. Andrew Weil, featuring an exclusive mindful living program
- An evening entertainment experience in collaboration with Sir Tim Rice, produced exclusively by Belinda King Creative Productions
- Committed to environmental stewardship and sustainability