Essence of Port Antonio

  • Port

    Port Antonio, Jamaica

  • Activity Level

    Easy

  • Excursion Type

    12, All

  • Wheelchair Accessible

    NO

  • Starting at

    USD74

  • Minimum Age

    Information is not currently available.

  • Duration

    Approximately 4 Hours

  • Meals Included

    No

DEPARTING BY AIR-CONDITION BUSES THROUGH THE TITCHFIELD HILL AREA, HOMES OF GEORGIAN ARCHITECTURE ARE POSITIONED TO VIEW BOTH EAST AND WEST HARBOUR OVERLOOKING NAVY ISLAND WHICH ACCEEDED TO GOVERNOR LYNCH IN 1770 AND LATER THE BRITISH NAVY IN 1778. IN 1793 CAPTIN BLIGHT BOUGHT MANY EXOTIC FRUITS TO THE ISLAND. IN THE 1940’S ERROL FLYNN ACQUIRED THE ISLAND.

THE RUINS OF JAMAICA REEF HOTEL ONCE OWNED BY MOVIE ACTOR ERROL FLYNN AND THE REMAINS OF THE SOUTHERN SECTION OF THE PROPERTY PREVIOUSLY THE SITE OF THE FIRST CARIBBEAN RESORT 4OO ROOM TICHFIELD HOTEL BUILT IN 1890 OWNED BY THE UNITED FRUIT COMPANY AND WHERE TOURISM BEGAN ON JAMAICA. THE UNITED FRUIT CO. ALSO HAD AN ELABORATE PRESENCE IN THE AREA, WITH MASSIVE BANANA PLANTATIONS AND PRODUCTION DRIVING EASTWARD TO THE FOLLY ESTATE. THE FOLLOY ESTATE WAS BUILT BY TIFFANY HEIRESS ANNIE OLIVIA TIFFANY AND HER HOUSBAND ALFRED MITCHELL.. MONKEY ISLAND SITS ON THE ESTATE OCCUPYING 3 ACRES OF INTENSE WOODLAND ESPECIALLY CULTIVATED TO ACCOMMODATE A REAR SPECTE OF MONKEYS WHICH WERE BOUGHT TO THE ISLAND BY EXPLORER HIRAM BINGHAM TO OCCUPPY THE ISLAND SOMETIME AFTER HE REDISCOVERED THE LOST CITY OF INCAS IN PERU IN 1912.

PASSING THE EXQUISITE SAN SAN AREA WITH THE RESIDENCES OF THE VERY RICH AND FAMOUS, PELEW ISLAND WHICH WAS GIVEN TO PRINCESS NINA DYER BY SADDRUDIN AGA KHAN THE SON OF THE AGA KHAN. A TRIP TO SAN SAN CANNOT BE WITHOUT A VIEW OF THE BOTTOMLESS BLUE LAGOON. RETURNING TO PORT ANTONIO THERE IS A 15 MINUTES PHOTO STOP OUTSIDE JAMAICA’S FAMOUS TRIDENT CASTLES.

DRIVE THROUGH THE VILLAGE OF PROSPECT AND STOP FOR SHOPPING AT THE CRAFT MARKET, THEN CONTINUING THROUGH, ITS NARROW STREETS TIPIFYING ITS PAST BRITISH OCCUPATIION AND ARCHITECTURE NOW OCCUPIED BY LOCAL RESIDENCES. A BRIFE STOP AT THE ANGLICAN CHURCH WHICH WAS BUILT IN 1840 AN HISTORICAL ARCHITECTRAL MASTERPIECE.

RETURNING TO THE PIER, VIEW THE COMBINATION OF THE WILLAGE OF ST. GEORGE MEDIEVAL AND TUDOR RENAISSANCE OF EUROPEAN STYLES AND GOTHIC ARCHES THE COMPLEX PUT TOGETHER BY A RESIDENT GERMAN BARONESS.

Please Note: UNDER 16 YEARS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT. MINIMUM AGE IS 6 YEARS OLD