Seabourn's 2018 Northern Europe Summer Voyages Showcase New Shore Excursions on Land and Water
SEATTLE, April 19, 2018 – Seabourn, the world’s finest ultra-luxury travel experience, will be traveling the waters of Northern Europe this summer, from the North Atlantic and North Sea to the Baltic Sea, Kiel Canal and more as the slanted sun warms cities from Iceland to Estonia and beyond. Travelers touring the region in utmost luxury and comfort on board Seabourn Quest and the maiden season of the line’s newest vessel, Seabourn Ovation, will have abundant opportunities to explore on land and water. With a selection of never-before-offered shore excursions highlighting local culture, history, and natural beauty in the company of expert Seabourn guides, travelers can uncover all corners of our extraordinary world.
The new shore excursions available to guests offer a diverse mix of opportunities including unique Partner Tours of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, “flightseeing” via airplane, culinary experiences secured through local connections, waterborne adventures, and optional for charge Ventures by Seabourn expeditions in select destinations.
“Shore excursions continue to be an essential element of the Seabourn luxury cruise experience, and are an integral part of the overall guest experience as we showcase our extraordinary world’s to our guests,” said Chris Austin, Seabourn’s senior vice president of global marketing and sales. “From walking in the ancient footsteps of the Vikings, to standing in the space of modern revolutionaries, our guests will enjoy many opportunities to discover the culture and beauty of Northern Europe no matter where they go this season.”
Here’s a peek at the new shore excursions that will be available from Seabourn in Northern Europe in the summer ahead:
- Lake Myvatn Ultimate Flight (Akureyri, Iceland) – The brilliant flightseeing tour heads over dramatic Icelandic landscapes where “Game of Thrones” and “Oblivion” were filmed. Look for natural features such as Godafoss waterfall; Vatnajökull Glacier National Park with Dettifoss, the most powerful waterfall in Europe; Asbyrgi Canyon, held by legend to been carved by Sleipnir, the eight-legged horse of the Norse god Odinn; and more.
- Bremen’s Medieval Old Town & City Hall (Bremerhaven, Germany) – This UNESCO Partner Tour reveals the architectural and historical splendor of Bremen, Germany. Highlights include a walking tour to the breathtaking gothic-style Town Hall, constructed in the 15th century; sculptures of Bremen Town Musicians and Roland, paladin of the first Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne; the restored Bremen Cathedral.
- Vision of the Fjords (Flam, Norway) – Another UNESCO Partner Tour, guests will explore the spectacular scenery of the Flåm region of Norway by land and sea. Board the hybrid vessel Vision of the Fjords and cruise Aurlandsfjord into the dramatic UNESCO World Heritage Site Nærøyfjord, a 10.5-mile-long fjord nestled between steep mountainsides, waterfalls and narrow passages. Back on dry land, a picturesque drive takes in the settlement of Gudvangen and stunning panoramic views the fjord and Aurland village from 2,000 feet above.
- Royal Jelling (Frederica, Denmark) – On this UNESCO Partner Tour, proceed through the picturesque Danish countryside to the Royal Jelling Museum of Denmark, site of the famous runic-covered Jelling Stones from the 10th century recounting the victory of Christianity over Nordic gods. Guests will also pass through Vejle, an historic town featuring relics from the Stone, Bronze, Iron and Viking ages.
- Inside Tour: Hamburg & The Beatles (Hamburg, Germany) – Before Beatlemania, The Beatles cut their teeth in Hamburg, Germany. Get acquainted with the city through the eyes of the very young rockers, with a walking tour of original scenes from the earliest moments of their incredible career, including the clubs they played and the places they stayed. As John Lennon famously said, “I was born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg.”
- Ventures by Seabourn: In the Vikings Footsteps: A Walk to Herjolfsdalur (Heimaey, Westman Islands, Iceland) – This Ventures by Seabourn outing follows the footsteps of bona fide Vikings who camped in a natural amphitheater facing the ocean in Herjolfsdalur. They stayed years, and foundations of several buildings are still visible today, representing the earliest known settlement in Iceland.
- Fortress Suomenlinna (Helsinki, Finland) – This UNESCO Partner Tour explores Suomenlinna Fortress Island in Helsinki, Finland, a unique monument of military architecture created in the 18th century. A guide will lead guests to special places, including Bastion Bistro, housed in a building dating back to 1892, to sample the island’s beer and brewery tradition.
- Saaremaa & the Craft of Beer Making (Saaremaa, Estonia) – Start the day at Pöide microbrewery before heading off on a walking tour of the quaint streets of Old Town Kuressaare, capital of Saaremaa Island in the Baltic Sea, with ancient buildings including Town Hall and the Weigh House, as well as an open-air market. A panoramic drive reveals more of Kuressaare back to port.
- Sand, Art & Local Produce (Skagen, Denmark) – The fishing village of Skagen is the northernmost town in Denmark, with a bustling harbor lined with wooden warehouses that have been converted into seafood restaurants. This culinary tour includes a scenic drive to view the exhibits of Skagen Odde Naturcenter, designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon of Sydney Opera House fame. Guests will then visit Pakhuset for marinated herring washed down with Aquavit, the traditional spirit of Scandinavia.
- Behind the Scenes at the Marlinsky Theatre & Tea with a Ballerina (St. Petersburg, Russia) – This tour offers a special, and otherwise inaccessible, backstage tour of the world-renowned Marlinsky Theatre, part of the St. Petersburg UNESCO World Heritage Site, in the company of a curator. A short transfer arrives at a downtown restaurant where guests will share tea, pastry and conversation with a Russian ballerina.
- Berlin: East, West & Canals (Szczecin, Poland/Berlin, Germany) – Discover Berlin’s charms from a new perspective: A cruise along the River Spree. This “Best Of” tour begins with a guided scenic drive through the North German countryside, with stops at Gendarmenmarkt Square and Brandenburg Gate. The cruise will reveal the sights and sounds of Berlin from the water as it passes through the inner city with views of the Reichstag, the Berlin Cathedral and more. Afterwards, stop at Checkpoint Charlie and the Berlin Wall before returning to the port of Szczecin.
- Grøtfjord Exploration by RIB and Bus (Trosmo, Norway) – Take an adventure deep into nature by rigid inflatable boat (RIB) and bus. Destinations include Kvalsundet, crossing the bridge of Kvaløya Island; the very low “ghost island” of Gåsvær; the fishing village of Vengsøya; the idyllic village of Grøtfjorden with its startling white beach; and the quintessential Norwegian fishing village of Kaldfjorden, departure point for a RIB ride down the fjord back to Tromsø.
- Dettifoss: Europe’s Most Powerful Waterfall (Vopnafjördur, Iceland) – The amazing roar of Dettifoss – 150 feet tall and 320 feet wide – thundering through the Jökulsárgljúfur canyons and dropping into the Jökulsá á Fjöllum glacial river is a force of nature to behold. A self-made tribute to the force of nature, the view of the waterfall, cliffs and the canyon is stunning and completely unobstructed by boardwalks and viewing platforms.
- Ventures by Seabourn: Pathway to a Local Treasure - Kirkjufellsfoss Waterfall (Grundarfjordur, Iceland) – Guests will join the Ventures by Seabourn team for a walking tour in the surrounding areas of the small, fishing town of Grundarfjörður, including the magnificent Kirkjufell Mountain -- considered by many to be one of the most breathtaking mountains in the world. The trip will get even more scenic with a stop at the beautiful waterfalls of Kirkjufellsfoss.
- Ventures by Seabourn: Puffins at Papey by Zodiac (Djupivogur, Iceland) – A naturalist will guide guests around Papey Island, home to number of wildlife including eider ducks, arctic terns, puffins, black guillemot and many other species. They will circumnavigate the island by Zodiac, exploring the shoreline in search of bird and seal sightings.
For reservations or more details, please contact a professional travel advisor; call Seabourn at 1-800-929-9391 or visit www.seabourn.com. A dedicated shore excursion call center is available for guests at 1-800-984-3225.
Notes to Editors:
Seabourn is consistently ranked among the world's top travel choices by professional critics and the discerning readers of prestigious travel publications such as Departures, Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler. Its stylish, distinctive cruising vacations are renowned for:
- Intimate ships with a private club atmosphere
- Intuitive, personalized service provided by staff passionate about exceeding guests expectations
- Curated voyages to all seven continents delivering award-winning experiences
- All ocean front suites, luxuriously appointed
- Complimentary premium spirits and fine wines available on board at all times
- Welcome Champagne and complimentary in-suite bar stocked with your preferences
- Tipping is neither required, nor expected
- Finest resort at sea that is masterfully designed
- World-class dining, further enhanced through a culinary partnership with Chef Thomas Keller
- All dining venues are complimentary, dine where, when and with whom you wish
- Seabourn Conversations, connecting with visionary experts
- Ventures by Seabourn, optional shore excursions, enhance and extend destination experiences in select destinations.
- Select purposeful and sustainable travel experiences in partnership with UNESCO
- Spa & Wellness by Dr. Andrew Weil, featuring an exclusive mindful living program
- An evening entertainment experience in collaboration with Sir Tim Rice
Seabourn is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise Lines. The exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises, AIDA, P&O Cruises UK, P&O Cruises Australia and fathom. Seabourn is a brand of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL and NYSE: CUK). It has formed a partnership with United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to help protect World Heritage sites.