Lae, Papua New Guinea
Lae is the second-largest city in Papua New Guinea, located on the northern coast of the island in the Morobe province. It is the terminus of the Highlands Highway by which most of the produce and people get from the interior highlands to the coast. It was born out of evangelism by German missionaries and languished until 1926 when gold was discovered nearby. During WWI it was conquered by the British, who ruled until the Japanese occupied the city in WWII.