The Antarctic Sound
The Antarctic Sound is a body of water about 35 miles long by between eight and 15 miles wide between the Trinity Peninsula of Antarctic Continent and the Joinville Island group. It was named by Otto Nordenskjold’s Swedish Antarctic Expedition for its ship Antarctic, which navigated the sound in 1902. The sound is frequently filled with pack ice, including tabular icebergs from the Larsen Ice Shelf, and in fact Antarctic was entrapped and crushed by ice during the year following its first navigation, its crew managing to escape and winter at Hope Bay on the southern shore, now home to the Argentine Esperanza Station. The Sound is an important breeding area for many species of Antarctic birds, as well as harboring Weddell and leopard seals.