Eagle is a well-preserved Gold Rush-era community on the south bank of the Yukon River just six miles from the U.S/Canada Border. Chartered in 1901 by Theodore Roosevelt, it was the first incorporated town in Alaska’s interior. The town is a National Historical Landmark, with five preserved buildings from the original layout: Judge James Wickersham’s Courthouse, the Eagle City Hall, the Log Church, Redmen Hall, Fort Egbert and the Customs Building. There is also a park commemorating the visit of polar explorer Roald Amundsen. The Yukon River was an important means of transport during the Gold Rush, and Eagle was a key riverboat stop. Today traffic on the river is mostly dedicated to tourism.