Qaqortoq, Greenland

Qaqortoq is the largest city in Southern Greenland with 3,300 inhabitants. The town occupies steep rises above the natural small-boat harbor bounded by fish, shrimp and fur processing plants. It was founded in 1775 by the Dano-Norwegian trader Anders Olsen, working on behalf of the General Trading Company.

 

Qaqortoq is perhaps best known for its open-air art exhibition, The Stone & Man project, designed to transform the town into an outdoor gallery. The project enrolled the participation of 18 Nordic artist from Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Greenland. Initially 24 stone sculptures were created, utilizing existing rock faces and boulders in the town. Now, over 40 sculptures celebrate Greenlandic culture.

 

Other points of interest include Mindebrønden, the oldest fountain in Greenland, the Qaqortoq Museum and The Saviors Lutheran Church. Eighteen kilometers northwest of town are the famous remains of the Viking church of Hvalsey. It is the most prominent Norse archaeological site in Greenland and represents the last written record of the Greenlandic Norse, who attended a wedding here in 1408.